Frequently asked questions from migrant workers

What kind of work do you have?

Think of harvesting vegetables, cutting flowers, working on crops (for example cutting leaves and turning them in), packing vegetables and flowers, taking care of pigs or chickens, collecting or packing eggs, etc.

View our vacancies >

What kind of company will I be working for?

You end up on an agricultural company. Our people work at greenhouse horticulture companies, field farms, mushroom growers, pig farms, chicken farms, cow farms, tree nurseries, etc.

Dutch horticulture and agriculture are leading in the world. So you often come to work at a modern company.

How does it work when you receive a vacancy?

A client informs us that he is looking for a new employee. And he lets us know what kind of person he is looking for. We prepare the vacancy. And then get to work to find the right person.

We search our database of people who have previously registered. And we advertise the vacancy in our international recruitment network.

Do you want to be the first to be called when a new vacancy comes in?
Then register at Z.O.N. as a job seeker>


Z.O.N. has a job for me. And then?

Then you will be called. You will be asked if you want to take the job. And we will tell you where you will work and live. Then we ask the question: "when can you be in the Netherlands?"

If we know this, we will inform your new boss, make sure that your house keys are ready and we tell the inmates of your house that you are coming.

What should I definitely bring with me when I come to the Netherlands?
  • Work clothes + work shoes with steel toes
  • Passport or identity card
  • Drivers license
  • Dutch social security number if you have one. If you do not have a Dutch citizen service number, we will request one for you when you are in the Netherlands.
  • Health insurance card if you have one
  • Bank account number, IBAN and BIC. This may also be the number of a non-Dutch account.
  • Debit card
  • Money to bridge the first two weeks
  • Smartphone if you have one. We use an app to send you the contract and payslip. You can also ask your questions in this app.
How do I get to the Netherlands?

You arrange and pay for the trip to the Netherlands yourself. Most people come here with a taxi van or their own car. A few go by plane.

How does it work when I arrive in the Netherlands?

You will receive the address of your place of residence. You then travel directly to your place of residence in the Netherlands. There you put your luggage and you can acclimatize for a while.

Do you arrive in the evening or at night? Then go to sleep immediately. We will pick you up the next working day to register you.

Are you arriving during office hours? Then we will pick you up the same day to register you.

You register at the office of Z.O.N. We will send the contract digitally afterwards.

Is the paperwork in order? Then you get a bicycle or a car. After that, we usually take a look at your new workplace together. That way you know where to be and what it is like there. Then you go back to your place of residence. Usually you can start working the next day.

Where will I live?

Most of our employees live in a house. You share a room with 1 person. Sometimes with 2 people. You share a joint shower.

We have normal house rules. For example, that you leave the communal areas you use tidy.

Our rules are not super strict. You can just live. We do ask you to take into account the customs in the Netherlands. For example, if you have a party, it is common in the Netherlands that you do not cause noise nuisance after midnight. It is also customary to park your car or bicycle in the place designated for this.

You can read the house rules inside the house.

How do I get to work?

You will live as close to your workplace as possible. You will receive a bicycle as standard. If you live further from your workplace, you will receive a car or an electric bicycle.

Do you only work with labor migrants or do you also employ Dutch people?

We also employ Dutch people. Think of part-timers, full-timers and students in all kinds of positions. But the vast majority of our workforce consists of labor migrants.

What about certification?

We have three certifications: NEN 4400-1, Fair Produce and SNF. And we are affiliated with the NBBU.

  • NEN 4400-1 is a certification of the Labor Standards Foundation (SNA). This foundation checks us for correct payments to the tax authorities and payments to employees.
  • Fair Produce was set up by mushroom cultivation. This foundation also checks us for correct payments to the tax authorities and payments to employees.
  • SNF stands for Stichting Normering Flexwonen. This foundation checks whether our housing complies with Dutch rules.
  • The NBBU is one of two temporary employment unions in the Netherlands. This association represents our interests as a broadcaster. The NBBU is a partner in the CAO consultations.